Super Mario Odyssey is packed with collectibles, conquest objectives, and often obscure controls.
Use this spoiler-free tips and tricks guide to give yourself an edge in your game.
Coletando Power Moons und Purple Coins
- You need a certain number of Power Moons to move from one kingdom to another. Most main objectives in a kingdom will not give you enough, so keep an eye out for additional Power Moons hidden on the way to main objectives.
- Power Moons glow and make sounds. The closer you are to the moon, the louder the sound becomes. Purple coins also make noise.
- Mario can collect things like coins, hearts, and Power Moon pieces (but not real Power Moons) with projectiles and Cappy.
- Don't worry if you can't find all of the Power Moons the first time you enter a realm. Some are only available after completing the campaign. Here is a list ofPower Moon Overall Records.
- all kingdomPurple Coinsare available before you complete the campaign and you don't need to buy anything to access them.
- Collect Power Moon spirits for easy coins. Each purple coin ghost is worth two gold coins, so collect those too!
- Power Moons can be hidden in unusual places. If walls, floors, or objects look unusual compared to the rest of the environment, there's a good chance they're hiding a secret.
- FOLLOW THE DOG IN THE HAT.Not only is it a good boy, but it can also spawn a Power Moon.
- Each realm has a rabbit that you can take down with Cappy's punches (or by stepping on it) for Power Moons.
- You can purchase Power Moons with standard gold coins from shops in each realm to progress faster.
- You can often play mini-games twice to get more Power Moons.
- Planting seeds in a pot causes the plant to grow very, very slowly - after around 20 minutes of real time, a bulb with a Power Moon in it will grow. It lights up when it's done. Throw Cappy at it to catch the moon.
- When the ground trembles there is a price, sometimes a power moon underneath. Unleash it by hitting the ground.
- You cannot open the metal boxes in every world.until you win the game. Be patient!
- There is no fall damage in Super Mario Odyssey. So if there's ground beneath you, go for it!
- Use snapshot mode to explore things remotely.
- Keep trying the Cappy Door Challenges! You are likely to get more coins than you lose when you get into a challenge or fail, so you may win more than you actually lose.
- Expect the extra/challenge rooms to have two power moons. One is usually hidden in creative ways.
- If you see two or three lonely blocks in an odd spot, there are probably invisible blocks above them.
- Read the region information on the map! Everyone has helpful tips about local wildlife, areas and more. You can also read all of the content on the individual Realm pages on this wiki.
- You can slide along the ice platforms instead of sliding while trying to cross them.
- Play Cappy on anything. There's a good chance you'll get at least a coin or two!
- Hearts are often found near intense platforming sections or bosses, inspect the area with Cappy or suspicious hills to find them.
- Many realms are subject to change after completing important objectives in that area. Be sure to check out the previous realms for new characters, Power Moons, and challenges.
- Once you land on a plane, turn around and explore behind the ship. There's always something there.
- You can hang on the edge of a level and see all the items hidden in the hidden ledges.
- Paintings can be secret doors to other realms to help collect unreachable items.
- Almost every 2D area has a secret. It's usually a broken piece of wall at the edge of the area, or an area above the exit, like World 1-2 in Super Mario Bros.
Cappy's special moves
- The moment Cappy jumps back into your head after you throw him, you can press the jump button to do a small spin jump - even if you're in the middle of a jump. This can bridge large gaps when falling, or lengthen your jumps just enough to reach tricky areas.
- The Spin Throw is a great defensive move for sending Cappy around to potentially block incoming attacks or trapping a hard-to-pin opponent.
- You can spin throw without using motion controls by running in fast circles (to trigger a spin jump) and throwing Cappy.
- Enemies sometimes have better traction than Mario - consider capturing them to see how they behave in dangerous environments.
- As a basic principlemost enemies without hats- and even some characters - can be caught. Allied characters with hats cannot be caught, but you can sometimes knock off an enemy's hat to try and catch them on the second throw.
Less obvious movements (return and other)
- If you crouch and jump, you can high jump to reach higher spots in a narrow area.
- Crouch and jump while running to perform a long jump.
- Press Crouch + Jump into the water to sprint
- You can scan amiibo for invincibility or extra hearts. see theAmiibo usage and bonusesSection on how to use each amiibo.
- To catch a T-Rex wearing a hat, guide it around objects like trees until it hits one and loses the hat and passes out.
- You can buy a 6 heart upgrade from any store that you can take into a tough boss fight or difficult area to make things easier.
- Many of your fantasies are translated into 2D in the 8-bit sections.
- Mario turns his head to look at interesting things as he stands and walks.
- The game rooms in Sand Kingdom play music from the Super Mario Bros 3 minigame.
- If you are near clouds of smoke or fire, or if you are hit by explosions, Mario will cover himself in soot.
- Rolling in dirt or underlay will soil your clothes for a short time.
- Some animals run away when Mario approaches. When they disappear, they sometimes leave behind a gold coin.
- Small birds appear in all regions and have different colors - they land on Mario's nose when he falls asleep
- Mario falls asleep after briefly not moving and changing his position several times. He will talk even in his sleep!
- Destroying cacti in the sand realm with a chain reaction usually means you get more coins.
- Goombas have better traction and don't slide on ice
- You can jump into Odyssey's Globe and it will play part of Cascade Kingdom theme (after Metro Kingdom and onward it will play Jump Up Super Star).
- If you're playing Cappy with a joy-con controller, Mario will tilt it depending on which hand was used.
- Each kingdom has a Mario catsuit and a peach graffiti catsuit. Find them and throw Cappy at them to get a heart.
- Mario Odyssey's HD Rumble detects moving objects on both sides of the screen, increasing the noise when, for example, driving over boulders in the hand closest to the passing object.
- As you travel to different realms, the skies will change as the Odyssey flies depending on the sky of the realm you are traveling to (sunset/night/day/etc.).
- The Odyssey will bear battle scars from damage sustained during gameplay.
- You can enter the Odyssey through the main door, the hatch in the roof, or even the exhaust pipe.
- In Metro Kingdom there is a boombox that plays the Japanese version of Jump Up Super Star, the jazz song from the commercials.
- If you hit a pipe correctly, Mario will go through it faster and the sound will get higher and faster.
- Likevery cold areafeatures penguins that are similar to those in Mario 64, but fly away when you get close, unlike real penguins.
- Mario shivers when he's cold and sweats when he's hot. To cancel these animations, you can wear warm or cool clothing. For example, in a cold realm, just wear the clothes you buy in the native shop - the natives know what's up!
Next: step by step
Main Sections of the Guide
- Tips and Tricks
- step by step
- Power Moon Locations
Was this guide helpful?
In this wiki guide
Super Mario Odyssee
Studio 1 above
Fire Emblem Engage: 5 Things to Know Before Playing
By gathering a total of 500 moons, you'll be able to travel to the Darker Side. Yes, seriously. While the previous level had a boss rush challenge with no checkpoints, the Darker Side features one of the most intense, demanding and lengthy platforming sequences in the game ... with no checkpoints.What happens if you get all the moons in Super Mario Odyssey? ›
Your ship's sail turns gold. You can fight a more challenging version of the final Bowser battle. You can launch fireworks from the top of Peach's Castle in Mushroom Kingdom. And finally, the end credits show you a new postcard.Is there a secret world in Mario Odyssey? ›
If you want to reach the two secret Kingdoms you're going to need to collect a heck of a lot of Power Moons. In order to unlock the first hidden Kingdom, known as the Dark Side, you will need 250 Moons in your Odyssey. Once you've done that you'll be able to travel to the Dark Side of the Moon via your world map.Can you buy 999 Power Moons? ›
There are 880 unique findable Power Moons in the game, with infinite available for purchase in shops afterward, all the way up to 999.What is the highest jump Mario Odyssey? ›
Out of all of the various jump types in Super Mario Odyssey, triple jumps are the highest by a decent margin, with a height ranging from 325 to 550 units depending on how long the jump button is held.Is Cappy a hat? ›
Cappy's normal form is a white top hat with blue wisps of hair and large eyes with red irises. Under the hat is his main body, which somewhat resembles an Eerie. When transformed into different hats, such as the Mario Cap, Cappy's eyes appear on the hat.Can you be Luigi in Odyssey? ›
Luigi has long since moved on from being a palette-swapped second player to a fully-fledged hero in his own right – heck, he even has his own series of video games these days – but he sadly isn't a playable choice in Super Mario Odyssey, the most recent mainline Mario title.How many moons needed for true ending? ›
In order to get to the Dark Side of the Moon, you're going to need 250 Power Moons.How many secret worlds are in Mario Odyssey? ›
Counting the three extra "kingdoms" that players can visit in the post-game of Super Mario Odyssey, there a total of 17 kingdoms that Mario can travel to.What is the hardest moon to get in Mario Odyssey? ›
- 5 #6: Jump-Rope Genius.
- 6 #5: Invisible Road: Rush!
- 7 #4: Iceburn Circuit Class S.
- 8 #3: Long Journey's End.
- 9 #2: Breakdown Road: Final Challenge!
- 10 Honorable Mentions.
- 11 #1: Vanishing Road Rush/Vanishing Road Challenge.
- 12 Conclusion.
The most effective location to gather coins in Super Mario Odyssey is in Bowser's Kingdom. When arriving at the Beneath the Keep checkpoint, turn around and run towards the right-side rooftop. From there, Mario can pick up a seed and carry it across some hazards to grow a vine leading to a secret area.What happens when you get all purple coins in Odyssey? ›
Purple Coins are essentially an in-game currency, which you can use to purchase cosmetic items like Hats, Outfits, Stickers and Souvenirs from the shop. The nice thing is that these are earned from simply collecting them in the world, rather than grinding out currency as you would in other games.How many moons do you need to unlock dark side? ›
You'll unlock Darker Side when you have collected 500 Power Moons.Where is Peach after you beat Odyssey? ›
Once you have completed the Main Story and defeated Bowser, return to the Lake Kingdom and head to the Water Plaza Terrace where you fought Rango the Broodal. Here you'll find Peach and Tiara, and they will give you a Power Moon as a reward.Does Super Mario Odyssey have a secret ending? ›
Unlock Super Mario Odyssey's Secret Ending. There is a secret ending to unlock, but you need to collect 999 Power Moons to see it. You won't reach 999 if you collect unique Moons alone, so just buy what you're missing from a shop.How do you unlock World 9 levels? ›
Each level in World 9 is unlocked by gathering all of the coins in each of the Worlds 1-8. Important: You can travel to World 9 or back and forth between previous levels at ANY TIME by pressing - on the Map Screen and using the Select World menu!What happens when you complete the Darker Side in Super Mario Odyssey? ›
Completing this challenge will reward you with the only Power Moon in the area - a Multi Moon. There is only 1 Power Moons located on the Darker Side of the Moon. Completing the objective will grant you the Invisibility Cap.Will there be a Super Mario Odyssey 2? ›
Unfortunately, no news of Odyssey 2 came to fruition. However, some fans have started to think there's hope for a Mario Odyssey sequel following a recent press email Nintendo has started to send out at the start of 2023.What is the max moons in Mario Odyssey? ›
Super Mario Odyssey can be a long game if you want to collect a lot of Power Moons. You only need 124 to get to the end credits, but you can find a total of 880 unique moons (you can take that number up to 999 if you buy duplicates from in-game shops with coins).What is the coin glitch in Mario Odyssey? ›
Coin duplication, often shortened to coin duping, is a glitch that can cause the rock blocks in the Cascade Kingdom that normally drop a ring of eight coins to drop duplicate coin rings, in order to harvest up to 48 coins.
Enter the Rock Shop you encounter and sell your Gold Bars to the guy there for 15 coins more than you purchased them for. From him you can then buy Puzzle Boxes for three coins and sell them to the Flipside/Flopside Stores for 5 coins (netting +2 coins per box). This is a great way to earn cash in the game.
Super Mario Odyssey has a lot of moons to collect. There are 830 to be exact (with the option to buy more up to 999), and this is what happens when you collect all the ones that can't be bought. If you don't feel like watching the video, however, here's the list: Your ship's sail turns gold.What to do with the 999 Gimghoul coins? ›
Gimmighoul Coins are needed to evolve Gimmoghoul into Gholdengo. You'll need 999 of them before you can get your Coin Chest Pokémon to evolve.How many Gimghoul coins are there? ›
Acquisition. In Medali, a man will start collecting any Gimmighoul Coins that the player cannot keep due to having 999. Once the player has less Gimmighoul Coins, the man will give the player all the excess coins.How much is a Freecoin? ›
FREE Coin's price today is US$0.0000002218, with a 24-hour trading volume of $485,589. FREE is -8.74% in the last 24 hours.How to do the Mario letter glitch? ›
This can be done by first getting it on top of a nearby taxi by walking against a pole adjacent to the taxi in order to force the letter up onto it. Then, if the taxi is allowed to move forward a bit, it is possible to walk over the edge of the arena as the letter to drop into it.How do you get 1000000 Rubees in Super Paper Mario? ›
A stash of 1,000,000 Rubees can be found at the top of the mansion inside a locked safe with an 8-digit combination, 41262816. Once the heroes pay off their debt, Mimi's curse on the mansion is broken and she disappears in an explosion. Mimi also uses Rubees to attack in her boss battles.What do you get if you find all the ninjas in Paper Mario? ›
After finishing the challenge and finding all 25 Ninjas, you'll be rewarded with Collectible Treasure No. 51 Ninja Signs. Exit the house through the front door. Once outside, Bob-omb will join your party again.What is the strongest weapon in Paper Mario? ›
"The strongest and fanciest hammer in the game." A Legendary Hammer is a type of weapon in Paper Mario: The Origami King. It is described as the strongest and fanciest hammer in the game.